Front Page Stories

Spain/Italy Trip 2010

Stein River - Gord Ritchie
Spain/Italy Trip 2010
by Gord Ritchie - Saturday, 3 April 2010, 10:08 AM

Spain-Italy 2010
Myself, Taryn Brown and my husband,Ian Brown chaperoned 13 Stelly's students, grades 9-11, on a wonderful 12 day European adventure through Spain and Italy over Spring Break. In Madrid we visited El Prado Art Museum, La Reina Sofia and saw Picasso's original "Guernica" masterpiece, and ate paella and tapas while listening to live music. We had a day visit in Zaragoza to visit the cathedral there and have a wonderful lunch. In Barcelona we saw La Sagrada Familia, Parque Guell, and many other examples of Gaudi's architecture. We also went to a live Flamenco performance one night, which was amazing! Then we braved the first snow storm ever in March, survived a harrowing ferry trip to Corsica, then on to Citacavechia in Italy. Once there the weather improved slightly, and we loved Rome. We visited the Colloseum, The Forum, The Pantheon, The Vatican City, The Sistine Chapel, St. Paul's Basilica and the underground burial catacombs that once housed over 1 million cadavers in Roman times. We went to Naples and saw the ruins of Pompeii, which was a highlight for many. After the ruins we ate pizza in Pompeii, which is where it was invented. Then we travelled a few hours and stayed in a hilltop hotel in Sorrento, overlooking the island of Capri. What a view!The following day we awoke to a beautiful sunny day, which was perfect for our day excursion to Capri, one of the planet's most exclusive islands. We pretended we were rich and famous for a day! We boated all around the island of Capri to see the world-famous blue and green grottos. The colour of the water is incredible there! Then we lunched on the island, strolled through the island's park, and ferried back to Sorrento. The trip definitely ended on a high note in Capri.

The students were great travellers; up at the crack of dawn, bright and cheery and excited about each day's adventures. Everyday we were pleasantly exhausted when our heads hit the pillows, with our stomachs full of delicious cuisine. This was such a great learning experience for everyone, and we hope more students are interested in trips like these in the future. What we learned can never be taught in a classroom. I really believe travel is the best educator.